An air purifier or air cleaner is a device that extracts harmful pollutants from the atmosphere and enhances the air quality. Such devices are widely recommended as they’re helpful for people having issues such as allergies and asthma, and other diseases caused by air pollution. Air purifiers are either manufactured as small stand-alone devices or as larger systems that can be connected to an air handler unit (AHU) or an HVAC unit used in the medical, manufacturing and commercial sectors. In manufacturing industries, air purifiers can often be used to eliminate impurities from the air before processing.
The Dyson Pure Cool air purifier automatically removes 99.95% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns. Dyson purifiers powerfully project and circulate purified air throughout the room with Air Multiplier™ technology. The 360 degree, the vacuum-sealed glass HEPA filter removes indoor air pollutants while a second layer of tris-coated activated carbon captures household odors and potentially harmful toxins. Intelligent purification automatically monitors, reacts and purifies – then reports the air quality data to your Dyson link app, so you can remotely control your environment. Easy filter change with notification on the app when the filter needs replacement.
- 360° Glass HEPA Filter & Tris-coated Activated Carbon FilterFeatures:
- The H-13 Glass HEPA Filter is pleated over 200 times and densely packed with borosilicate microfibres
- Automatically monitors, reacts & purifies
- Automatically removes 99.95% of allergens & pollutants as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs and other harmful gases/odors
- An excellent choice for those living in highly polluted areas
- HEPA filter technology
- Good value for money
- Easy to install
- Priced a little bit on the higher side
Vitashield IPS with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Pro Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr. It can effectively remove ultra-fine particles as small as 0.02um. Also, it filters out harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC. Indoor PM2.5 levels can increase far above local guidelines because of outdoor pollution or daily activities like cooking, cleaning, etc. The smart air sensor can detect PM2.5 levels and boost the air purifier’s speed to deal with the pollution.
Night sensing mode is developed especially for your bedroom; The air purifier rapidly prepares your bedroom air for sleep and constantly monitors your bedroom air quality, delivering clean air while you sleep. The dimmed and/or switched off lights and the low sound help you and your family sleep better. The healthy air protects alert lets you know promptly when it is time to replace the filter.
If the filter is not replaced promptly, the appliance stops functioning – to avoid ineffective purification. So you are assured of healthier air always. The color ring on the dashboard provides a clear view of air quality by 4-step color, ranging from blue (good allergen & particle level) to red (bad allergen & particle level). The extra thick NanoProtect HEPA is designed for superior purification efficiency and lifetime against airborne particles.
Price – ₹ 9,399.00/-
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and products Effective Filtration Size.
- Purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre-filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter
- 4-color air quality indicator gives real-time air quality feedback, Packaging: > 90% recycled materials
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus
- Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites, Allergy-friendly quality tested by ECARF
- Philips is the no.1 brand in Air purifiers in India
- High-quality performance
- Excellent for people with asthma and other breathing issues
- Safety features available
- Useful for small rooms measuring up to 120 sq. Ft.
- The HEPA filter and activated carbon filter cannot be cleaned with water
Mi Air purifiers come in two modes, with, or without Alexa Echo Dot technology. This particular air purifier, Mi 2S functions without Eco Dot. However, this purifier can be controlled remotely using a dedicated app. This Mi air purifier is an energy-efficient device in many ways.
One of the best aspects of this air purifier is the OLED display that allows checking the PM 2.5 levels in the room, thereby tracking the purification levels of the air all the time. It also comes with humidity and temperature indicators.
Price – ₹ 8,399.00/-
- OLED display; Laser particle sensor
- Allergen and Odour free
- 310m³ PM/hr CADR | Remote app control
- 360-degree air intake with 3-layer filtration
- 3 different modes to choose from (Auto, Night and Manual)
- OLED display
- Quiet and energy-efficient
- Silent and efficient operation
- Best for use in a partially closed room environment
- Night mode features
- Difficult to clean the filters
The Coway Air Purifier features a sleek design that not only performs admirably but also looks pleasing to the eye. This appliance uses HEPA purification to deliver high-quality pure air to your household. The air purifier is ideal for rooms measuring around 350 square feet, thereby making it suitable for use in our living rooms and bedrooms alike. The CADR of 303 m3/hr ensures ample delivery of pure air to all the corners of the room.
Another highlight of this air purifier is the user-friendly control options. These options include indicators for airspeed and filter replacements. The one-touch airspeed control and the mood lamp on/off setting are incredibly useful control options.
Price – ₹ 15,490.00 /-
- Coverage Area: 355 sq. ft / 33 sq. mtrs.
- Unique Air Filtration Process
- Warranty: 5 years on air purifier motor and 1 year on electrical parts
- Air Purifying Method
- One-Touch AirSpeed Adjustment
- Globally reputed brand
- Ideal for Indian bedrooms
- Excellent filtration process
- Night mode feature is not available
This Mi 2C air purifier comes with a 3600-air intake feature to ensure efficient filtration and distribution of pure air throughout the room. This air purifier offers a CADR of 350 m3/hr, thereby guaranteeing a coverage area of nearly 452 square feet. Therefore, this air purifier is ideal for living rooms as well as bedrooms.
This air purifier works on an Auto Mode, thereby reducing the need for manual intervention. Similar to the Mi S air purifier, the Mi C model is highly efficient, as it eliminates all kinds of bad odors, bacteria, and significant air-borne pollutants.
- True HEPA Filter with a filtration efficiency of 99.97 percent for particle size up to 0.3 microns
- 360 Degree Air Intake for efficient filtration
- Best in class CADR of 350 m3/h
- Effective Coverage Area of up to 452 Sqft
- Real-time air quality indicator
- DIY (Do It Yourself) Filter change
- One button control for easy operation
- Highly efficient while being easy to install and operate
- Excellent CADR to ensure adequate air purification
- Changing filters is easy
- No night mode features
- Makes noise during manual operation
Dyson Pure Cool air purifiers have a unique algorithm that processes the input from three on-board sensors – diagnosing and reporting air quality metrics in real-time. So you can see your air quality right now, and maintain it at the right level. Sensors – Humidity and temperature sensor constantly monitors the relative humidity and temperature in the room. A particle sensor uses laser measurement for constant particulate concentration analysis.
Dyson air purifiers project purified air around the whole room. Dyson Air Multiplier technology projects purified air to every corner of the room. So you know that wherever you are in the room, the air around you is purified. Other features include easy scheduling, 10 air-speed settings, auto mode, night-time mode, sleep timer, and an easy-to-clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades so it’s safe for little fingers or paws.
Price – /-
- 350 degrees oscillation ensures proper circulation throughout the room;
- personalized angle feature
- Suitable for small to medium size rooms with a coverage area of up to 450 sq.ft.
- Airflow max settings: 437 l/s
- Energy-efficient; Wattage: 40W
- Warranty – 2 years. Parts and Labour. Easy returns.
- Ideal for rooms sized 550 to 600 square feet
- Excellent features like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatibility
- Rotating air vents make it extremely handy
- Cost is an issue, however, it comes with attractive features
Philips air purifier is a reputed name in the market that delivers some of the best air purifiers in the world. The 3000 Series Air Purifier comes with excellent features like VitaShield and AeraSense to ensure that your family gets the purest air to breathe.
Built on Willis Carrier’s invention of modern air conditioning in 1902, Carrier is a world leader in heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. We constantly build upon our history of proven innovation with new products and services that improve global comfort and efficiency.
price – ₹ 10,937.00/-
- PM2.5 display and color indicator to keep you up to date with quality of Air
- 3 stage filtration process with Pre-filter, HEPA H11 filter, and activated carbon filter
- 4 fan speed to adjust the airflow
- Auto mode to adjust the speed of airflow depending on Air Quality
- Sleep mode for lower sound operations & Filter replacement reminder
- Pre-Filter: Pre-Filter is made of white nylon to wash out large dust particles like Strands of hair, dust, animal skin, etc
- HEPA H11 Filter: This filter absorbs minute particles like PM 2.5, pollen, allergens, etc., from the air
- Automatic switch-off/on after a power cut
- Long-lasting filter
- Capable of handling rooms as large as 800 square feet
- Excellent appliance to use during the night
- The high cost is a discouraging feature
The Philips Air Purifier has 3 automatic purifications a General mode, an extra-sensitive Allergen mode, and an extra-powerful bacteria and virus mode. You can choose your preferred mode to personalize and optimize your purification. Vitashield IPS with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 344 m3/hr*. It can effectively remove ultra-fine particles as small as 20nm, effectively reduce harmful gases such as formaldehyde, TVOC, and odor.
Removes up to 99.9% bacteria and viruses.AeraSense is a sensor that accurately identifies fine particles that are even smaller than PM2.5. It then processes this information to ensure that the purifier’s settings are at the ideal level for current air conditions, and for continuous re-assurance. Then gives you feedback of real-time indoor air quality by showing PM2.5 level.
Price – ₹ 16,499.00/-
- Air Purifier Type – Room
- Purification method – High-Efficiency Particulate Arrested filter type
- Coverage area: 441 sq. ft, suitable for bedroom/living room (large)
- Air quality sensor(s): Aerasense PM2.5 sensor
- Clean Air Delivery Rate: 333 m3/hr
- CADR is 200 m³/h
- Sound level: 20.5-51 dB(A)
- Frequency: 50/60 Hz
- Power: 11~60 W
- Voltage: 220 V
- Wattage: 60 watts
- Warranty: 2 years on product
Takes in the air from the sides and bottom, releases pure air from the top at an angle appropriate to ensure optimum air circulation. An award-winning design developed keeping in mind Honeywell User Experience principles, the home air purifier offers a seamless product experience that is completely DIY in terms of installation, usage and filter replacement. No sharp edges and anti-fall design with zero exposure to filters ensures that there is no risk to your children if they happen to touch the home air purifier.
Price – ₹ 7,726.00/-
- Versatile Coverage Area and efficiency
- The three-stage advanced filtration system that removes pollutants with more than 99% efficiency.
- It also removes formaldehyde, toxic gases, VOCs and odour.
- ‘Ozone Free’ Air Purifier.
- High filter life of around 3,000 hours
- Cleans a normal-sized room in ten minutes
- Highly energy efficient
- Makes a bit of noise at times
- Inadequate after-sales service
Dyson air purifiers are designed to work in real homes (POLAR tested – 27 m2 room with 9 sensors and no separate fan). Purified air is powerfully projected to every corner of the room ensuring PROPER, WHOLE-ROOM purification. Some machines are only able to purify the air around the machine – creating a ‘clean air bubble’ – while areas further away remain polluted.
Curved and magnetized to store neatly on top of the machine.Low maintenance, easily changeable filters. With built-in notification (on LCD & app) when they require replacing. Purifies all year round. Cools you in summer as required with the bladeless fan. Purifies without powerful projection by diffusing the airflow through side vents. Monitors and purifies using its quietest settings, with a dimmed display.
Price – /-
- Automatically senses and reports air quality levels on the LCD screen and Dyson Link App in real-time; the only purifier to report ALL of these separately.
- 360 degrees Glass HEPA Filter & Tris Impregnated Activated Carbon Filter capture 99.95% of harmful ultra-fine pollutants & allergens as small as PM 0.1.
- Patented Air MultiplierTM technology projects over 360 liters of purified air per second across your whole room
- 350 degrees oscillation ensures proper circulation throughout the room; personalized angle feature
- Suitable for medium to large size rooms with a coverage area of up to 600 sq.ft.
- Energy-efficient; Wattage : 40W, Airflow max settings: 361 l/s
- Warranty – 2 years.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
- Purifies the entire room
- Easy to replace the filters
- Highly efficient performance
- Expensive, but at the same time, worth every rupee you spend on it
You use deodorants and talcum powders in your home. Inhaling the air contaminated by these chemicals is dangerous. You have air conditioners and refrigerators emitting harmful gases. Insect repellents constitute an important constituent of indoor air pollution. You have an emission of hydrocarbons when you light up incense sticks and camphor.
There are animal dander and pollen to contend with. Detergent powders and toilet cleaners are also sources of indoor air pollution. The list can be endless. The prime reason is that indoor air does not have the means to escape to the exterior. Therefore, it makes sense to use air purifiers at home.
We have already seen how the indoor air can be as impure as the outdoor air, if not more. Are you surprised at this fact? There is no need to be because we shall now list out the impurities that you would encounter indoors.
Impurities are of various sizes. PM2.5 refers to those particulate matter having a diameter of less than 2.5 micrometers. Roughly translated, it amounts to 3% of the thickness of a human hair. Particles of this size are not visible to the naked eye. But, they are present in the atmosphere. They can cause dangerous harm to the lungs and other organs of our body should we inhale them on a regular basis.
Just as PM2.5 refers to particulate matter having a diameter of 2.5 micrometers or less, PM10 refers to a similar matter having a diameter of 10 micrometers or less. Comparatively, they are larger sized particles. They can also cause great harm when we inhale them.
CADR: Clean Air Delivery Rate
To put it very simply, CADR is a measure of how quickly the air purifier works. The resultant figure denotes how many cubic feet of air the air purifier can purify in one minute. You also have this figure in cubic meters per hour. The higher the CADR, the better is the performance of the air purifier. There are different CADR numbers for dust, pollen, and smoke as far as air purifiers are concerned.
HEPA: High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance/Adsorption/Air
The principal job of the HEPA filter is to trap the dust and dirt. There are different ways of trapping the impurities depending on the size of the particle. These are inertial impaction, diffusion, interception, or sieving. It is imperative that the air purifiers have HEPA filters to perform successfully. All the ten air purifiers discussed above have HEPA filters.
We have just seen that HEPA filters are one type of filtering appliances present in the air purifiers. There are a couple of more types of air filters such as activated carbon filters, ion and ozone generators, and pre-filters. Let us now look at these processes in brief.
This is usually the first line of resistance to the impurities. You much have seen examples of the pre-filters in AC units. They are either made of foam or some sort of non-woven polyester material. They trap the larger particles of dust, animal hair, and other impurities.
The principal responsibility of the activated carbon filters is to eliminate VOCs and the bad odor caused by different kinds of materials and gases. Activated carbon filters absorb the odors and obnoxious gases and neutralize them. One pound of activated carbon has a surface area of around 60 to 150 acres. Therefore, the larger the carbon filter better is the performance of the air purifier. Once the carbon filter becomes full of impurities, you need to replace the same.
Ion and Ozone generators
These generators create ions (charged particles) and emit them into the air. These ions will cling to the impurities and cause them to fall down to the ground because of their weight. Similar is the case with ozone generators. The drawback is that inhaling ozone is not good for health. Secondly, an excess of ozone in the environment is harmful.
These are the different types of filters one normally associates with air purifiers. The impure air becomes fresh and pure after passing through these filters. Before deciding to purchase an air purifier, you need to look at the following factors.
Coverage area – Ensure that the coverage area of the air purifier is equal to or greater than the area of your room.
ACH ratings (Air change per hour) – This is a very important factor. It tells you how frequently the air purifier can exchange the air in a given room. For example, if you have a 20’ X 20’ room and an air purifier with ACH rating of 6, it entails that the air purifier is capable of exchanging the entire air in the room 6 times in an hour.
Price – It depends on the model to model. You should also factor in the cost of replacing filters annually.
Energy Usage – Follow the BEE Star ratings in this regard.
Noise level – The noise level depends on the fan speed. The higher the fan speed, the noisier is the machine.
How to Control Air Pollution at your Home
- When you live in your house, Similarly, if you have a balcony in your homes, please plant some trees. These are the small things we can do to control the pollution from the air.
- You may find it isn’t important. But if Lakhs of us start to plant trees at home, then it may be a positive change.
1. What is the frequency of filter replacements in an air purifier?
This depends on the indoor and outdoor air quality. The filters usually need to be checked periodically. However, if the air quality is poor, as it is in cities such as Delhi or Dhanbad, the frequency of filter replacement could be shorter.
2. Which air purifier is the best in terms of performance?
One should always go for an air purifier having at least 3-stage purification. This should include pre-filters, activated carbon filters, and filters from HEPA. Many modern air purifiers also have UV filtration systems.
3. How do you reduce the noise created by the air purifiers?
The noise is due to the speed of the fans. You can reduce the noise by reducing the speed of the fans. In present-day air, purifiers have built-in sensors that determine the level of impurities and adjust the fan speed accordingly. They also take care to reduce the speed considerably at night thereby providing a higher degree of comfort.
4. Is an air purifier essential today?
There were reports of extreme pollution. In fact, you could see people wearing air masks everywhere. Under such circumstances, the presence of an air purifier becomes essential.
5. How effective is the HEPA filter?
The HEPA filter can remove 99.97% of PM2.5 impurities. That is an astounding performance by any standards.
In the present day scenario, air purifiers are more of a requirement than a privilege. Of course, the air quality of our surroundings and indoors is decreasing by time and doesn’t support healthy living. An air purifier enhances the quality of air and thus improves our overall health.